Modern Gun School
1200 N. West Street, Ste 1200, Wilmington, DE 19801
Year Founded: 1946
First Accredited: 2016
-DEAC: January 2025
-MSA: May 2025
CEO/President: Kevin McCloskey
MGS Graduate Outcomes
At Modern Gun School we look forward to hearing from our graduates. It is very rewarding to learn that a high percentage of our students are completely satisfied with the studies they received and that they would recommend our programs to a friend. These survey results confirm that our graduates are achieving their goals, whether it’s to prepare for new career options, career advancement, or personal satisfaction.
|Recent Grads on their MGS Education||
“I would recommend this program to a friend.”
“I have achieved my learning goals.”
“I am completely satisfied with the studies I received.”
Source: Survey of Modern Gun School Graduates
Accreditation(s) and Agency Contact Information
Modern Gun School is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC), Washington, D.C. This commission is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency, and is a recognized member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Questions about the Distance Education Accrediting Commission may be directed to MGS or to DEAC (1101 17th Street NW, Suite 808, Washington, D.C. 20036, Telephone: (202) 234-5100, Fax: (202) 332-1386).
Modern Gun School is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Secondary Schools. Questions about Middle States may be directed to MGS or to MSA (3624 Market Street Philadelphia, PA 19104-2680, Telephone: (215) 662-5603, Fax: (215) 662-0957).
State Approval and Contact Information
Modern Gun School is approved by the Delaware Department of Education. For questions or more information please contact MGS or the Delaware Department of Education, Private Business and Trade Schools, 35 Commerce Way, Dover, DE 19904 (302) 857-3313).
Out of State Required Information
Modern Gun School is approved and physically located in Delaware and is not regulated in Texas under Chapter 132 of the Texas Education Code.
Modern Gun School Mission and Description
“Modern Gun School’s mission is to provide high-quality distance education using time tested materials and hands-on projects designed to develop a proficiency in both the technique and business of gunsmithing.”
The Goals of Modern Gun School are:
- to provide quality distance education to students seeking to prepare themselves for a career in gun repair or entry level position in the gun-repair industry.
- to provide feedback from our Master Gunsmith to guarantee that lesson materials are both applicable and up-to-date with regard to today’s industry standards.
- to assist students in realizing their goals throughout their program by encouraging ongoing professional development and lifelong learning.
The mission and goals of Modern Gun School are accomplished by successfully achieving the following objectives:
- to provide high-quality distance education and training to individuals seeking entry-level training, para-professionals seeking continuing education, and adults seeking to enrich their lives.
- to foster a positive, supportive learning environment that motivates students to learn and accomplish educational goals through providing exceptional student support services.
- to prepare graduates for an entry level position in the gun repair field through a curriculum that incorporates practical application of learned skills.
- to continually revise, update, and/or add new course material when appropriate, offering the most current information and meeting industry standards.
- to evaluate its mission and measure its institutional effectiveness through the continual monitoring of students’ academic progress, satisfaction, and graduate outcomes.
Because licensing and certification requirements differ from state to state, it is important to check with the state licensing board or similar regulatory body in the state you plan to work to determine the requirements. Prospective students should review regulatory information and professional licensing requirements. Simply click here to learn more on state licensing/regulatory boards and specific industry licensing information.
MGS offers the following training programs:
Average Program Tuition
$2,540 for Advanced Gunsmithing
$1,999 for Basic Gun Repair
Average Completion/Graduation Rate for Students: 73%