Open Enrollment & Academic Calendar
Modern Gun School enrollment model is an open-enrollment track meaning students can enroll in courses at any time with no wait for a start date. The learning model is self-paced within certain maximum time limits per course. Modern Gun School allows students to enroll online anytime or by phone. The school is open Monday-Friday, 8:30 am -4:30 pm EST throughout the year and is closed on the following holidays: https://mgs.edu/contact-us/
Modern Gun School enrolls all students without regard to their gender, color, race, creed, religion or disability, or veteran status. Individuals with significant vision impairment should review our course format closely before enrolling to ensure their compatibility with Modern Gun School’s education model.
To qualify for admission, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Complete our Enrollment Agreement for admission. The agreement outlines the obligations of Modern Gun School and the student. The required down payment must be submitted at the time of enrollment.
- Submit information on high school completion. All students are required to have a High School Diploma or GED Equivalency Certificate to enroll in a Modern Gun School program. All students must be 18 years or older to enroll in any Modern Gun School programs.
- Once Modern Gun School has received and reviewed the agreement, the accepted applicant will receive a welcome letter with instructions on how to begin their course.
- New students must complete a Reading Assessment as the first step in their career program. Once the assessment is satisfactorily completed, the student can begin their program lessons.
The Basic Gun Repair course is not a prerequisite for the Advanced Gunsmithing program as the Basic Gun Repair course material is included within the Advanced Gunsmithing curriculum. The only admissions prerequisite for Modern Gun School students prior to enrollment is to have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent. Students may enroll in either the Basic Gun Repair or Advanced Gunsmithing programs as long as the high school diploma/equivalent requirement is met.
Additional Admission Requirements
In order to graduate from MGS and become a Gunsmith you must be a US citizen and answer NO to the following questions:
- Are you under indictment or information in any court for a felony, or any other crime for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year?
- Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?
- Are you a fugitive from justice?
- Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?
- Have you been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions?
- Are you subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?
- Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence?
Acceptance of Credits
Tuition reduction will be considered for equivalent college coursework earning a B or better completed within two years preceding entrance into Modern Gun School. Determination of credit will be made by Modern Gun School’s Education Department upon receipt and evaluation of an official school transcript and course description prior to enrollment. Once the amount of financial credit is determined it will be applied to the student’s account. Students are still required to complete all academic exams and assignments, regardless of approved credits.
Transfer of Credits
Modern Gun School does not guarantee the transferability of its credits to any other institution unless there is a written agreement with another institution. The acceptance of transfer academic credits to another institution is determined by the receiving institution. Institutions individually establish criteria for transfer credit acceptance based on many factors, including but not limited to course content, degree or non-degree courses, final grade, credits per course and age of credits. Courses in MGS’ programs may or may not transfer to other institutions and depends solely on the receiving institution’s criteria and determination. Modern Gun School does not imply or guarantee the transferability of credits from its programs.
Getting started with MGS is quick and easy. You don’t need to fill out a long application. All you need is an internet connection and you can take advantage of the high-quality, convenient education provided in the MGS courses. If you know the course you would like to enroll in, you can click here to enroll online or call (800) 493-4114 to enroll by phone.
Join the thousands of successful gunsmiths all over the world who have studied with Modern Gun School today!