Military Education Q & A’s

Military Q & A’s:

Why are other online gunsmithing programs so expensive?

Great question! The answer is, we have no idea. Modern Gun School is both nationally and regionally accredited and has been training gunsmiths since 1946. MGS’s time-tested materials and hands-on projects are designed to develop proficiency in both the technique and business of gunsmithing.

Am I eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefit?

You are eligible if you served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001. This covers active duty served as a member of the Armed Forces or as a result of a call or order to active duty from a reserve component (National Guard and Reserve) under certain sections of title 10. The Department of Veterans Affairs is the only resource that can answer your personal and specific GI Bill® entitlement questions. Call 1-888-GIBILL-1.

What will the Post-9/11 GI Bill® cover?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® will pay the full tuition to MGS for the Advanced Gunsmithing program.

The Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) was limited to 36 months of benefits, is there a similar limit for the Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

Yes, like the MGIB you are generally entitled to 36 months of educational assistance. You may not receive benefits under more than one VA education program at the same time. If you are entitled to more than one GI Bill® program you may be eligible for a maximum of 48 months of entitlement when using benefits under two or more GI Bill® programs.

Note: Individuals eligible under MGIB (Chapter 30) who elect to receive benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® are only entitled to the number of months they had remaining under MGIB (Chapter 30) (including any revoked months of transferred entitlement) up to a maximum of 36 months.

What types of education programs are approved for the new Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

All education programs previously available under the Montgomery GI Bill are approved under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Will I be able to switch back and forth between the MGIB and Post 9/11 GI Bill®?

No, you will no longer be eligible under the MGIB or other programs, after you elect to switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33). Any contributions being made under MGIB (Chapter 30) will cease the month following the election.

Can I transfer my GI Bill® benefit to family members?

Yes. The Department of Defense (DoD) is authorized to allow individuals who, on or after August 1, 2009, have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces and who agree to serve at least another 4 years in the Armed Forces to transfer unused entitlement to their Spouse. The Department of Defense may, by regulation, impose additional eligibility requirements and limit the number of months transferable to not less than 18 months. National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and Public Health System (PHS) personnel are also eligible to transfer their entitlement to eligible dependents.
NOTE: The ability to transfer benefits is limited to those currently serving in the military.

How do I apply for benefits under the new Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

You can apply online for VA educational benefits. Below are some helpful links to help you get information about your benefits:

VA Education Benefits Application

VA Benefit Rate Tables:

VA Regional Offices:

VA E-Benefits site:

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Military Education Q & A’s

➲ Request Info